Friday 19 April 2013

Going Home ... a good meal is always good, but when you enjoy it surrounded by people who you love - it makes it great!


I honestly believe that food tastes better when its shared with people you love - the whole experience is made even more special when you get to share it in a beautiful location. 

I've just come back from spending two weeks with my family at home on the Sunshine Coast. My family have lived on the Coast for 25 years - and the old adage of home is where the heart is rings true for me. I love going back and feeling that sensation of falling back in to a relaxed beach town groove, enjoying the slower pace and amazing climate. 

When I was growing up, Maroochydore was a seaside town attracting tourists drawn to its amazing beaches and laid back lifestyle. The Coast's foodie scene has really exploded in the last decade, and as the region has developed and grown, the presence of trendy coffee shops and cool wine bars has too. Now locals and visitors can enjoy good food and wine in amazing waterfront locations offering both gastronomic treats AND amazing views!


As I've written previously, I feel lucky to live overseas and be able to travel, but after spending this time back at home, I realise that the simple things in life are often the best. Bright, sunny days, cool ocean breezes and clean, rolling waves are in abundance on The Sunshine Coast. Living in London for two years I have really missed sunshine and fresh air - so the fact that I had a chance to treat myself to these simple pleasures were the key ingredients for a perfect holiday.

From one food extreme to the other ...

Going home also means being able to visit my favourite restaurants. My idea of Sunshine Coast foodie heaven spans both extremes of the gastronomic spectrum. From the simple pleasures of fresh fish and chips from the Mooloolaba Co-op to the gourmet delight of an Asian banquet at the Beautiful Spirit House in Yandina. Without a doubt, in both cases, the beautiful location in which the meals were consumed and the great company that I enjoyed added to the flavour!

The simple things ... Fresh Fish and lemon

A first stop on any holiday is a swim at Mooloolaba Beach followed by a lunch of fish and chips from the Mooloolaba Co-op at The Spit. The reef fish comes in off the trawler fresh each morning and is simply crumbed and served with hot chips and a wedge of juicy lemon.... life doesn't get much better. Best eaten from the packet on the grass along side the beach - the flavour is enhanced when consumed on a clear, sunny day with a light breeze blowing off the sea ... its a key ingredient to my perfect day!

 

I know that The Brits are mad for their battered fish with mushy peas ... but for me there is no competition. Fresh fish and lemon is as good as it gets! After enjoying the feast, any guilt disappears when you take a walk from The Spit around the bay to Mooloolaba Surf Club (strictly with shoes off and the sand under your feet!) ... heaven

And now ... The delectable things .... A Thai treat

So from the simple pleasures of casual fish and chips to a higher end option of modern Thai cuisine in the picturesque setting of Yandina's Spirit House.


The Spirit House is unique - nestled in the grounds of a lush, tropical garden, the restaurant is set at the back of the property and built around a peaceful pond - the walkway to the restaurant from the car park area is framed by a set of beautiful Chinese red antique doors and the pathway winds through a lush garden which towers overhead adding to the sensation that you've stepped away from the Sunshine Coast and in to a retreat in Chiang Mai.

The restaurant's tables are generously spaced and the ambiance is set by a trickling water feature in the pond, the waft of incense floating in the air and relaxing melody of mellow music drifting through the room. Casting your eye over the pond you see Buddhas dispersed through the garden and cheeky water dragon's bathing in the sunshine - the restaurant is so tastefully decorated with Asian antiques collected over many trips to South East Asia such as rice bowls and carved mirrors which add to the restaurant's authenticity.

We celebrated our farewell meal at The Spirit House so treated ourselves to their Banquet. An incredible meal highlighted by soup of coconut with salmon, lemongrass and chilli oil, roasted pork belly served with a citrus caramel sauce and The Spirit House famed deep fried whole snapper with spicy tamarind sauce.


Considering the kitchen team at The Spirit House is staffed by Westerners (farangs) the food was spectacular and rivals anything I've enjoyed in Thailand. I'll definitely be going back on future trips just for that pork belly! 

So now I've returned to London to continue my Kensington Kitchen Adventure. I've come back with a good dose of Vitamin Sunshine and quality time with the people I love. I'm counting down to go back and re-visit my favourite haunts.

2 comments:

  1. Another fantastic blogpost Nic, this one is so far my favourite because it reminds me of my two holidays at The Sunshine Coast and how much I love it up there and you are right - the simple, beautiful things like fresh fish, rolling ocean, sand between the toes and clear QLD skies is what feeds the soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good to enjoy your love of food and your company with our favourite son in law. Your beautiful home town is awaiting you. Luv, Mum and Dad

    ReplyDelete